Saturday, January 29, 2011

Connor's Big Scare

Connor gave us quite a fright this weekend. During breakfast, he suddenly shaked and shivered like he was cold - but I knew something wasn't quite right. A few minutes later, I had him lying down on the changing station - when it happened again, but more clearly. His little arms and legs and whole torso just shook all over - and his eyes stared off in to space. I knew it was a seizure. After he finally came around, I started to finish to change his diaper and it happened all over again. 3 seizures in 15 minutes. I quickly called Poppa, and he calmly told me I was right to be concerned and to call the Doctor. I called the Pediatrician, and they referred me to the E/R. Meanwhile, he had another seizure again while Hugh was with him. Now, we're all scared. 27 months of these kids and we've never had to go to the ER. Argh.

Fortunately, we live near a wonderful Children's Hospital, so I rushed their while Hugh stayed with Kate and Kylie. They quickly took us in and we went through triage. What a wonderfully comforting place to be when you are afraid. He loved the little stickers that they put on his PJs.

We then got taken back to the patient room where we had to get Connor set up to have some blood taken and to start an IV. Should I leave the room to not hear him howl, or stay with him? Of course, I had to stay with him and help hold him down. I've never heard a more pitiful sound than of my little one crying.

After that, we met with a Doctor, who consulted with a Neurologist. A CT scan would be in order for today. For most of us, that would be a quick 2 minute test. For a child, they have to be sedated first so they can be still in the machine. Since Connor had just eaten breakfast, we had to wait several hours.

It was hard to distract Connor with an IV in his hand, but hid did decide to color a little and to watch some cartoons.

Meanwhile through all of this, they set him up on all of the monitors. I was never so happy to watch a little heart beat.

Finally, it was time for the CT. Hugh and I went back to the room to be with him while they knocked him out. He was given propofol (but monitored MUCH more closely than Michael Jackson was!) and he just slumped down to the table. He looked so tiny and helpless and we prayed for him dearly. The CT was over before we knew it, and little Connor's body was lifted back to his bed and rolled back to his room.

He slept and slept and slept. I just wanted to see him "bounce back" - but we had to wait about 30 minutes before he finally woke up. A very long 90 minutes later, we got the "all clear" on the CT results... Amen! We were told we need to get an MRI and an EEG done later this week - but we could go home now. I was so grateful and hoped the drama of the day was done with.

Not so fast, Connor got sick 4 times in the car coming home and again in his bed and yet again on the couch. Poor little pun'kin - the medicine they gave him didn't agree with the milk and snack he had at the hospital before we went home. Regardless - we have our Connor at home and hope that the worst of this is behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment