Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Northside Hospital tour

Week 23, Day 2

Hugh and I took the Northside Hospital tour today. It was a special tour for high risk moms. We had 5 couples in the tour. Four of us were having twins, and 1 couple had a little boy who had encephalitis. So sad to know that she has so much to worry about already. We are the least far along. One of the ladies is 32 weeks with twins. She looks terrific, but can't believe she waited so long to take the tour.

Hugh noted that most of the couples were young enough to be HIS children. I guess we need to get used to be older parents. It won't be the last time we think that to ourselves.

As we took the tour, we saw the labor and delivery rooms (hope to skip that for a C-Section) and the transitional care area. We saw a baby that had just been born brought in to transitional care. So amazing and so small! While we were listening to the nurse give the overview, I saw them give the newborn baby a heel stick to get some blood. Am I the only one who boo-hoos for someone ELSE's baby getting stuck with a needle? I guess I'm just overly emotional these days.

Finally, the nurse eyes my heels and asks me why I'm not wearing flats? I said that "What to Expect When You're Expecting" says that low heels are ok. In a funny voice, she asks me if I think that book was written for people having one baby or two??? Got it - message sent and received.

No comments:

Post a Comment